About Me

My photo
God did it! He helped Andrew finish his Masters of Divinity at Bethlehem College and Seminary! We are now seeking for a full-time ministry position for Andrew, but we are also serving our wonderfully diverse neighborhood while we "wait." :) God is good, and we want to make Him known wherever we are.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Don't Make Me Count to Three: Part 1

As promised, I am finally setting out to write a few posts regarding how the Lord has been working in my heart. Unfortunately I am a sinner in constant need of correction. Fortunately, I have been saved from the bondage of sin through the death of Christ on my behalf, and therefore, I have great hope in the strength and power of God to help me overcome the sins that I so often struggle against. So, with that great hope in mind, I set forth to reveal what God has been showing me is in my heart, and share the encouragement He has given me through His Word and through the wisdom of others.

Most recently, God has used a wonderful book to convict and encourage me, the title of which happens to be the title of this post: Don't Make Me Count to Three: A Mom's Look At Heart-Oriented Discipline. This book is written by Ginger Plowman, and I intend for these next few posts to do a number a things: First, I hope to show how this book, although intended mainly to be a practical aide to mothers in the "trenches" of teaching and disciplining children, has brought three main issues of sin in my own heart to light. Second, I hope to basically give a review of the book, in that I intend to share all the wealth of incredibly helpful and practical information she gives for the day to day teaching and training of our children. Finally, I intend to expound on how drawing out the heart issues with our children, even when they are young, is incredibly important; and the practice of which, when saturated with the Word of God, will truly cause a great reward when it comes time for the harvest!

So I suppose this is to be a 4 part post. This first will serve simply as an introduction into what I hope will be a source of encouragement for others. This is, however, mainly for my own benefit. As I organize these thoughts in my mind and put to paper (or computer screen, I suppose) what I have gleaned from this book, I hope it will help these lessons stay with me well into my life as the mother of 3 beautiful children. May God also bless you as you read and consider. And also, go get this book fellow moms, and read it for yourself!! :)

1 comment:

Desiring Virtue said...

Oh, I loved this book!!!! I am excited to see how the Lord used it in your life. I need to skim back through it. I hate how easy it is to forget lessons learned!